Keeps digital print jobs moving continuously
Digital inkjet quality is improving and the demand for short-run print jobs and personalization is growing. This is great news for digital printers, but customers are meanwhile expecting shorter delivery times and better pricing. The digital print process – from order intake to shipment of finished product – is highly digitized and automated. However, one costly and time-consuming factor disturbs this efficient chain: the need to change paper reels manually.
For printers who would like to optimize their workflow, shorten their delivery times, reduce labor costs and use their web inkjet press to the max, Contiweb non-stop winding equipment is the solution!
Fully automatic splicing
The CD-N works as a horizontal zero-speed compensator splicer, but with fully automatic splicing as well as integrated infeed as standard.
The proven Contiweb zero-speed festoon design brings the running web and the new web to a halt during the splice cycle while the press is fed from the integrated festoon. Performing the splice at zero speed minimizes all dynamic forces on the web. The operation is therefore very forgiving of variations in splice preparation, such as operator skills and web quality. A lap splice is standard, and the CD-N can optionally perform one or two-sided butt splices.
The splice can be made at all reel diameters, and the zero speed principle minimizes all dynamic forces on the web with every splice. That offers maximum flexibility for changing paper type or web width easily, including the smallest rest reels.
The lift arms of the Contiweb equipment can move up and down, allowing the reel to be loaded from the ground. This operation is ergonomic, and requires no lifting crane.
Also included as standard on the CD-N are high-specification festoon- and guide-reelers for maintaining optimum web tension control. Infeed functions and web guidance can optionally be controlled remotely through the central press/printer console. Remote diagnosis via VPN is also available.
- Non-stop winding saves considerable production and labor hours
- Change reels and prepare splices during production, so avoiding production stops
- Preparing the splice is very easy and takes only two minutes. The splice performance is regularly and repeatably 99.8% or higher
- You can splice over to papers of different web widths, coatings and weights. This is very useful for short, fast-changing jobs. It is also easy to use rest reels, and there is no restriction on the diameter of the new or used reel for splice performance
- If your press can accept it, Contiweb non-stop winding equipment sends a signal to your press when a splice is coming. This way the press can lift the print heads. The Contiweb equipment will even send a signal if it recognizes a splice made by the paper mill!
- The lift arms of the Contiweb equipment can move up and down, allowing the reel to be loaded from the ground. This operation is ergonomic, and requires no lifting crane
- Additional advantages are: fewer mistakes when preparing the splice, less chance of losing the web completely out of the engines (time pressure of production). Less waste by cutting unnecessary white paper, fewer startup problems, energy savings by quick change over.
t (+31) 485 597 111
Fill out the form to receive the product brochure.
How does non-stop winding work?
Contiweb’s non-stop winding equipment consists of a CD-N unwinder and CR-N rewinder. The CD-N unwinder can splice a fresh reel of paper to an expiring reel without having to stop printing. It operates while the expiring reel and the new reel are both stationary. The press, however, continues to print. This is achieved by expanding a festoon in the device, above the paper reels.
During splicing, the press can draw from the paper, which snakes its way through the fully-expanded festoon. The expiring reel is stopped, the new reel is spliced to it, and the new reel is expanded to press speed. This collapses the festoon, which is expanded again the next time a splice needs to occur. The whole process is fully automatic.
At the end of the press line the CR-N rewinder works the other way round. When a paper reel is nearly full, the festoon is filled with printed paper, allowing the rewinder to halt the full and empty reels, cut the paper, and splice the web to the empty reel.
Find out if you can benefit from non-stop winding!
By eliminating an enormous number of lost production hours when using manual winding equipment, non-stop winding equipment normally pays for itself very quickly. Use the calculator tool below for an indication of the payback period and determine whether you can benefit from non-stop winding.
CR-N non-stop rewinder
The Contiweb CR-N rewinder is fully automatic, with the zero-speed operation ensuring perfectly rewound reels without interrupting production.
With the press in production, the running and new web are brought to a halt during the splice cycle, when the press is fed from the integrated festoon. The automatic splice can be made at production speed, at any reel diameter and at any time. Fully wound reels can be unloaded and cores prepared during production.
Case study Rotomail
As the demand for digital printing and the need to diversify print offerings intensifies, the need for quality printed products and higher productivity grows.
When Rotomail installed a new premium-performance inkjet printer in 2016, Contiweb’s modular CD Unwinder and CR Rewinder systems opened the door to increased efficiency, speed and time-savings.